Primary sources are the first-hand accounts of a topic or time period. You probably already use them in your work. Music can be especially powerful as a primary source because of its ability to convey emotion and feelings. The following primary source analysis strategies tools can be used with virtually any song, on this website or elsewhere.
- Using Primary Sources (Library of Congress)
- Analyzing Songs and Sound Recordings (Library of Congress)
- Analyzing Sheet Music (Library of Congress)
- Primary Source Strategies (CollegeBoard)
- Document Analysis Worksheets (National Archives)
- Engaging Students with Primary Sources (Smithsonian National Museum of American History)